Follow Local 1942
Local 1942 - We Are Still Here!!!
Local 1942 represents UW Hospital & Clinics authority employees whether there is a contract or not. Together our voices will be heard by management. Workers are encouraged to contact us with questions or concerns about policies that are unfair or that are not being carried out in a fair way.
We are a democratically run membership organization. Monthly meetings are held on the last Thursday of each month at 6:30 pm, currently at our Local 1942 office at 4513 Vernon Blvd, Suite 106 in Madison. The best way to ensure that the union represents your views is to become a member and participate in meetings. That’s where decisions are made.
Contact us at 608-233-1942 or firstname.lastname@example.org
How To Use Union Peer Support
Under UWHC policies 9.54 and 9.55, you have the right to select a Peer Support of your choice to attend an Investigatory Meeting or a meeting to appeal disciplinary action. Tell your supervisor that you want a peer support to accompany you and let them know as soon as possible who that will be.
If you already know a union Peer Support, contact him or her as soon as possible so they can request to be released from their supervisor. If you don’t know a Peer Support or your first choice is not available, contact the office ASAP 608-233-1942 or email@example.com.
The policies state that supervisors should be willing to accommodate the schedule needs of your chosen peer support, but if this is not happening, contact our office right away.
AFSCME LOCAL 1942 in 2015
AFSCME Council 24 and Local 1942 (and prior to July 1996, Locals 171 & 2412) have represented employees at UWHC for over 35 years. After the labor contract expires, WE WILL STILL BE HERE.
What will AFSCME do?
- AFSCME will advise members on grievances for discipline or violations of the UWHC handbook.
- We will train and support UWHC member peer representatives (stewards) for member support. (See UWHC policies 9.54 and 9.55 for complete information on peer support.)
- We will be a resource for and an advocate on State and Federal workers' rights laws. These include, but are not limited to the Family Medical Leave Act, Workers Compensation, the American Disability Act and Equal Rights Laws.
- Local 1942 will continue to maintain its office at 4513 Vernon Blvd., Suite 106 in the SEIU building. Our phone number will remain 233-1942 and our web-site will remain Local1942.org.
- Local 1942 will maintain office staff throughout 2015. We will consider maintaining office staff in the future if enough members sign up to make it financially feasible.
- Council 24’s phone number is 836-0024. Our staff rep is Maggie Merdler.
- Local 1942 will continue to have an Executive Board, Steward Body and Membership Meetings
- Membership meetings will be the LAST THURSDAY of the month at 7:00 PM. Initially these meetings will held at the AFSCME building at 8033 Excelsior Dr.
- Executive Board and Steward meetings will be on the same date as the Membership meetings.
- We will work with the Administration of UWHC to maintain and improve our relationship with the hospital and our members.
- We will continue to work with well-established labor and social justice coalitions; locally, state-wide and nationally, to address issues as they arise at the UWHC.
- We will work with well-established public relations and media contacts to shine a light on the concerns of our members and the patients we serve.
- We are only as strong as our membership. We need a strong and active membership to effectively advocate for employees.
- AFSCME’s State Lobbyist has many years of experience advocating for workers in Wisconsin. We will continue to address worker issues with law makers at the Municipal, County and State Level.
- AFSCME has one of the top Political Action programs in the State. We will continue to work with our many partners in labor and other civic groups to impact local and state elections.
- AFSCME will lay the groundwork to bring back full union rights once to political pendulum moves back to a government that again supports its workers.
- AFSCME International Advantage provides over 30 discounts for its members. This includes credit cards, health and legal resources, mortgage resources, etc. (Go to www.afscme.org for more information.)
- AFSCME International, WSEU Council 24, South Central Federation of Labor and the AFL-CIO offer scholarships for members and their children.
- AFSCME offers free Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefit ($3,500 per member) through American Income Life for all members.
- AFSCME offers Union Dental as a supplemental dental coverage to its members.
UW Hospital has a CHOICE, Don't take away our rights!!
Union members at U.W. Hospital and Clinics (UWHC) are standing strong to protect our workplace rights and keep UWHC a top-rated healthcare provider. Together, we can keep UWHC a quality destination for healthcare providers and patients.
Even though UWHC is run by its own authority and does not rely on any taxpayer dollars, state politicians voted to include it in Act 10 – the controversial 2011 law that stripped union rights from most public employees.
At state healthcare facilities, loss of union rights prompted a wave of resignations and retirements. Unfilled vacancies have led to mandatory double shifts, and a host of other problems. Most UWHC employees still have rights under current contracts. But when our contracts expire, our say in matters of pay, benefits, scheduling hours, seniority, and sick time will be gone. The hospital is cutting employees take home pay when their contracts go away, resulting in an increase profit margin for the hospital at the expense of their best asset, the employees.
That’s why we’re fighting back, working to build support throughout the community.
We want to convince state, community and UWHC leaders to join us in standing up for the principle that a workplace rights are essential for a quality workforce – and that a quality workforce is the only way to achieve quality care.
This is a Security Enhanced Website
For confidentiality reasons, many areas within our Website and Forum are accessible to registered users only. If you wish to utilize the many features within our website click REGISTER in the menu and completely fill out our Online Registration Form.
Certain areas are accessable only to Officers and Stewards of AFSCME Local 1942.
All AFSCME Local 1942 Represented Employees of the University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics are encouraged to register. To gain maximum access to the Website and Forum you must be a Member in good standing of AFSCME Local 1942. The level of access for other represented employees will be dependant on whether you pay union dues or not.
You are allowed to register as a Council Guest of Local 1942 if you are from AFSCME Council 24 or one of it's affiliated Locals. Members from other AFSCME Councils and their Locals may also register as a Guest of Local 1942.
"Dedicated employees, putting patients and their families first"
AFSCME Local 1942
4513 Vernon Blvd., Suite 106, Madison, WI 53705
Phone: (608) 233-1942 / Fax: (608) 233-0146
Transfer Hotline: (608) 233-4313
Local 1942 Membership Meetings are held the LAST THURSDAY of every Month.
6:30 pm at 4513 Vernon Blvd., Suite 106, Madison.
Faces of Local 1942