Local 1942 - We Are Still Here!!!
Local 1942 represents UW Hospital & Clinics authority employees whether there is a contract or not. Together our voices will be heard by management. Workers are encouraged to contact us with questions or concerns about policies that are unfair or that are not being carried out in a fair way.
We are a democratically run membership organization. Monthly meetings are held on the last Thursday of each month at 5:00 pm, currently at our Local 1942 office at 4513 Vernon Blvd, Suite 106 in Madison. The best way to ensure that the union represents your views is to become a member and participate in meetings. That’s where decisions are made.
Contact us at 608-233-1942 or UWHCLocal1942@gmail.com
How To Use Union Peer Support
Under UWHC policies 9.54 and 9.55, you have the right to select a Peer Support of your choice to attend an Investigatory Meeting or a meeting to appeal disciplinary action. Tell your supervisor that you want a peer support to accompany you and let them know as soon as possible who that will be.
If you already know a union Peer Support, contact him or her as soon as possible so they can request to be released from their supervisor. If you don’t know a Peer Support or your first choice is not available, contact the office ASAP 608-233-1942 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The policies state that supervisors should be willing to accommodate the schedule needs of your chosen peer support, but if this is not happening, contact our office right away.
AFSCME Local 1942 (post 1/24/2015 via Act 10)
AFSCME LOCAL 1942
AFSCME Council 32 and Local 1942 (and prior to July 1996, Locals 171 & 2412) have represented employees at UWHC for over 35 years. Although the labor contract expired January 24, 2016, WE ARE STILL BE HERE.
What can AFSCME do?
- AFSCME will advise members on grievances for discipline or violations of the UWHC handbook.
- We will train and support UWHC member peer representatives (stewards) for member support. (See UWHC policies 9.54 and 9.55 for complete information on peer support.)
- We will be a resource for and an advocate on State and Federal workers' rights laws. These include, but are not limited to the Family Medical Leave Act, Workers Compensation, the American Disability Act and Equal Rights Laws.
- Local 1942 continues to maintain its office at 4513 Vernon Blvd., Suite 106 in the SEIU building. Our phone number will remain 233-1942 and our web-site will remain www.Local1942.org.
- Council 32’s phone number is 826-1932. Our staff rep is Mike Stahl.
- Local 1942 will continue to have an Executive Board and Membership Meetings the LAST THURSDAY of the month at 5:00 PM.
- We will work with the Administration of UWHC to maintain and improve our relationship with the hospital and our members.
- We will continue to work with well-established labor and social justice coalitions; locally, state-wide and nationally, to address issues as they arise at the UWHC.
- We are only as strong as our membership. We need a strong and active membership to effectively advocate for employees.
- AFSCME’s State Lobbyist has many years of experience advocating for workers in Wisconsin. We will continue to address worker issues with law makers at the Municipal, County and State Level.
- AFSCME has one of the top Political Action programs in the State. We will continue to work with our many partners in labor and other civic groups to impact local and state elections.
- AFSCME will lay the groundwork to bring back full union rights once to political pendulum moves back to a government that again supports its workers.
- AFSCME International Advantage provides over 30 discounts for its members. This includes credit cards, health and legal resources, mortgage resources, etc. (Go to www.afscme.org for more information.)
- AFSCME International, WSEU Council 32, South Central Federation of Labor and the AFL-CIO offer scholarships for members and their children.
- AFSCME offers free Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefit ($3,500 per member) through American Income Life for all members.
- AFSCME offers Union Dental as a supplemental dental coverage to its union members.
This is a Security Enhanced Website
For confidentiality reasons, some areas within our Website are accessable only to Officers of AFSCME Local 1942.